James Street in Liverpool was the original terminus of the Mersey Railway Tunnel. The original platforms (now numbered 2 and 3) are
seen in this view. Since the opening in 1977 of the loop line around central Liverpool, trains now call at platform 1 (in a seperate tunnel)
and platform 3 on the right hand side of this picture. Platform 2 is now only served by passenger trains when the loop is out of use, but
does see more regular use by empty stock workings as this track now forms a connecting spur between Merseyrail's 'Wirral' and
'Northern' lines. 508136 on the left is on the rear of 5D39 1936 New Brighton to Kirkdale Carriage Sidings ECS, while 508104 calls at
platform 3 with the 2C51 1900 Chester to Chester (via Liverpool Central).
Date: 30 July 2016
Manipulation Notes: None